My sister, Pinky and I made a quick trip home over the weekend. The roads were less than desirable the closer we got to my parents'. In fact I can't really think of a word to accurately describe them, other than treacherous! Needless to say, we spent plenty of time in the car . . . but it was all worth it!
We spent Saturday afternoon visiting my Gram. She's recently been in the hospital and we were anxious (to say the least) to get home to see her. When we got to the nursing home where she lives, we found her sitting with several ladies in the fellowship room waiting to have her nails painted. Oh, how her eyes lit up when she saw us! We enjoyed coffee, snacks, and entertainment by Pinky. But most of all, we enjoyed visiting and reminiscing with our Grandma! Sure, she repeats herself, and yes, she gets confused . . . but she was very sharp the afternoon of our visit. And to be honest, it means the most to me that she always remembers who I am when I walk in the door. She knows that I am her granddaughter, and she is my grandma. She's never let me down, except for the occasions that she calls my by one of my aunt's name . . .but she's been doing that for years! Before we left, we were going to "help" her up to her room. She was up and to the elevator waiting for us to catch up after we collected our things . . . some things never change!
 |
| Entertainment by Pinky |
 |
| Sharing pictures of the kids with grandma. |
 |
| Making Memories |
 |
| Look what I can do! |
While home, we were also able to celebrate our Great-Aunt Avis's 90th birthday. What an amazing thing to live to be 90 years old. She still lives on her own, keeps up two homes, drives, gardens, and bakes. In fact, she said to my sister over lunch "I just can't shovel like I used to!" Later that evening, we were out celebrating her birthday with family and friends. After the meal was over she stood to thank everyone for coming and stated "I'm the oldest one hear, so you better listen! I have loved my life. I have been truly blessed. I hope all of you can live to be 90!" (Me too!)
 |
I didn't get a picture at the party, but here's Avis and Pinky last February.
Pinky's grown a little, and Avis just gets better with age! |
If you think I was kidding about the roads . . . or even exaggerating a little . . . check this out:
 |
| Made it through most of the drift! Good thing I brought a shovel! |
 |
| You push, I'll shovel . . . works every time! |
 |
| The surface of Hwy 50 just north of my parent's place. |
Of course we'll remember the terrible roads and the drifting snow . . . but most of all, we'll remember a day spent with 2 amazing women who have been a part of our lives since the day we were born. 2 women who would do anything for their families . . . No matter how bad the roads are! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment