Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The "Fun Aunt"

As a young adult, I was never quite certain if I would ever be a mom.  What I was quite certain of was that I would be an aunt one day . . . So when my friends would talk about the names of their future children, I talked about being the “fun aunt”.  Oh, the plans I had to spoil my siblings' children, and the children of my dearest friends! 

Little did I know, not every day of “aunt-hood” would be fun.  Some of the hardest days of my adult life have been part of being an aunt.  I knew that I would love being an auntie . . . but I never imagined the love I would have for these children who do not live in my home, but certainly live in my heart!  The thing about being an aunt that I didn’t quite know, but quickly learned, is that you are part of a story that isn’t your own.  Four nieces.  Three nephews.  I love them dearly.  I celebrate when they celebrate, but  I also cry when they cry.

I wouldn’t trade being an aunt for a gazillion dollars.  I love all of the fun things we get to do. Take trips to the lake and the farm.  Have sleepovers and campfires.  Skip the main course and go straight for dessert(s).  I buy their Girl Scout Cookies, their Boy Scout popcorn, their magazines, cookie dough, etc.  That’s my job! And I love it!

Most of the time . . .

Last week was one of those not-so-fun weeks. I was called upon to take a journey with one of my cherished loves.  Although I was certainly willing to go, I was completely overwhelmed with fear, anxiety, and sadness as I prepared to leave.
We feared this journey would be difficult in ways we couldn't even fathom.  We did all that we could humanly do to try to set things up so they would go as smoothly as possible . . . Most importantly, we called on our prayer warriors for help . . . And help they did!  The prayers for our journey were coming from all around the country all week long.  People even set their alarm clocks for 4 am the morning we left, to pray for us as we departed.   What makes this story mine is that I was part of something that can only be described miraculous, for I know that it was only by the grace of God that we got to our destination safely and without struggles.   The people we met along along the way, who helped us in ways we didn't even know we'd need, could only have been sent by our heavenly Father, answering our prayers. 

At the end of the day, I returned home from this journey alone.  That was the plan.  That was part of what made this journey so dreaded and difficult.  Yes, there were tears shed.  Yes, there was some grumbling.  Yes, there were some tense moments.  But for just a few hours, last Thursday morning, I got to be the fun aunt.  And for that, I couldn’t be more grateful!

To all of our prayer warriors out there, my cup runneth over.  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment