Saturday, August 17, 2013

Mission

I did something this week that is completely and totally exciting.  I called a travel agent and booked a ticket to Ethiopia.  That's right!  My mom, sister and I are going on a mission trip to Ethiopia this winter.  My mom and sister have been planning on going for months.  I didn't even consider it until my husband and I were talking one night . . . I couldn't believe it when he was telling me he thought we could work it out.  (LOVE HIM!)

I can't quite wrap my head around it.  I haven't been on a mission trip since college and have been longing for another opportunity, never dreaming it would be this!!!

My thoughts range from "what was I thinking?" to "I can't believe I am going to AFRICA!"  to "I can't believe I am going to Africa with my MOM and SISTER!" 

According to my sister, our time will be spent: holding babies, playing with kids, ministering to widows and single moms, and showing the love of Jesus in Ethiopia! 

While there, we will visit:
Several orphanages and street children's shelter http://www.duttonfoundation.org/
Awake and Alive Kindergarten Center http://www.noordinarylove.org/
Project Tesfa training program http://www.projecttesfa.org/
 
What an amazing opportunity!!!!! 

You know me, before I even made the call to book the ticket I started worrying:
  • How can I be away from my family for that long?
  • Who's going to take care of my babies when I am gone?
  • Is my heart strong enough to see the things we are going to see?
  • How am I going to leave Ethiopia without wanting to bring all of those babies home with me?
  • How much can I collect to bring with me?
  • What can I do in 7 days, so that when I am gone, it will matter that I was there?   
  • Am I being selfish for wanting to go on this mission?  Will it be a blessing and not a burden for my family?
That's just the tip of the iceberg!  Because if you know me at all, you know I am already worried about packing! 

This is a big deal.  I'm excited and scared and nervous and anxious and can become totally overwhelmed if I let myself.  But most of all, I am so grateful for this amazing opportunity.  And so blessed to be going on this journey with my mom and sister. 

No comments:

Post a Comment