Sunday, May 12, 2013

Full of Surprises!

People keep asking us if Pinky is ready to be a big sister.  I'm never sure how to answer this question.  She's THREE.  Which I have learned means completely unpredictable for this child!  Sometimes, she surprises me . . . other times, shocked might be a better word for it.  So, is she ready?  I have no idea.  She thinks so!  Time will tell!

A good friend had a baby earlier this spring and she graciously allowed me to bring Pinky up to her hospital room to give Pinky a sense of what it was all about.  Pinky held the baby, rubbed her hair, and checked her out from head to toe.  She even let me hold her for a few minutes!  I thought the visit was an absolute success.  But then, as we were heading to the car, I said to Pinky, "wasn't the baby cute?"  To which Pinky quickly responded "Not as cute as me, right mom?"  For a good week after our visit, we had similar conversations that went like this:
Pinky:  See that bus, mom, isn't it cute?
Me: Yes, very cute! 
Pinky:  But not as cute as me, right mom!
Me: (Silently in my head)  Oh dear, what are we in for????

Fortunately, we have seen some "softening" in recent weeks that brings me hope that she is ready to be a big sister.  (Or as ready as she can be!)

A couple of weeks ago there was a baby shower at my school for all of the families having babies this year.  We received the cutest piggy bank filled with gifts from co-workers.  Leaving work with this generously filled pig, I was a little worried about big sister's response when she saw it.  Big sister, who has 2 piggy  banks of her own.  Big sister, who has to hug and kiss her piggy banks each time she "feeds" them.  What was she going to say/do when she saw this piggy bank with a tiarra and pink tutu that was NOT for her????

SURPRISE:  She went to her room, got down a piggy bank, opened it up, and got some money to share with her baby sister.  And then, she helped find the "best" home for it in "Rosie's" room!  My heart smiled like you can't imagine.

****

On Saturday, we were at a local book store picking out some gifts for upcoming birthdays and what-not.  We were having so much fun looking around the store together, something we don't get to do often.  We were looking at the books, the games, the toys, and then . . . .  We found a shelf of stuffed animals and I was pretty sure our time at the store was OVER for my little plush-toy fanatic. 

SURPRISE:  I offered her the opportunity to pick something out for "Rosie".   Something she could bring to the hospital when she comes to meet her.  She spent at least 10 minutes trying to decide which one Rosie would like better.  The puppy?  The turtle?  The monkey?  She settled on a floral print monkey, as soft as can be.  She snuggled with it the whole way home, and then, as asked, she took it to Rosie's room and put it in her crib, where it has been ever since.  (Except when she has to show someone what she got for Rosie!)  Sigh!  What a good girl! 

Waiting for Rosie!

 


****

Pinky has been very interested in watching my tummy grow.  (And at 35 weeks, it's getting pretty big she has informed me!)  She loves to rub my tummy, but now it is more about hugging and kissing Rosie.  Maybe this is just an excuse to get out of whatever she is supposed to be doing at the time . . . because she knows I won't say no to her initiations to show affection to her sister.  In the recent week or so, she has also been talking to her sister, which I think is adorable.  In church on Sunday, she was sitting on my lap rubbing my tummy and I hear her lean over and whisper to Rosie, "It's ok, Rosie, Mommy's got you.  Mommy's got you." 

My view looking down these days!




Oh, this girl is full of surprises.  She is so sweet and affectionate.  She completely warms my heart and makes me smile.  I pray she will always have that sweet, sensitive, caring disposition . . . along with her quick whit and sense of adventure!  And I pray that when little Rosie gets here, her big sister is ready for all of the changes that will be happening in our house.  (Of course, I'm also praying the same for mom and dad!)

#1 Sister 

No comments:

Post a Comment